Hi Sandra! Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are sorry you had a disappointing experience at Cultivate. We would like to hear more about your experience and make sure that doesn't happen again. Please feel free to email us at email@example.com. Also you can always reserve your order on our website to save time so it will be ready for you when you get here! https://www.cultivatemass.com/menu
Hi Green Girl, thanks so much for your awesome review! So glad you found something that works for you and that we could help you in the process =)
Hi Deb, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. We have many options available for medical patients. If you would like to elaborate on your experience, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. I am sure we can recommend a product that will work for you!
Thank you so much for your feedback, we LOVE you too!!
Hello & thank you for leaving your feedback! There is a separate parking lot for recreational customers, that is why the security officers were checking for your medical card right away in case you had to park somewhere else. The Sour Diesel #2 has 6.8% THC and 11.4% CBD which is a combined TAC of 18.2%. All of these amounts are listed on our menu. THC and CBD together will provide more medicinal benefits than either one alone. If you're interested, here are some tips on hydrating the bud to your liking: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/how-to-moisten-dry-marijuana
Thank you so much for your feedback! We hope to see you again soon :)
Hi & thanks for your feedback! Our online menu is always up to date. We like to keep our customers happy and will take your recommendations into consideration for the future! Thanks again!! =)
Thank you for your feedback! We hope to see you again soon :)
Thank you for your feedback and we are very sorry to hear about your disappointment. There must have been a misunderstanding about the THC content. Please feel free to email us and provide more information about this visit to Cultivate. You can email us at email@example.com.
Hi Michael, We apologize for the dryness of the buds you purchased from Cultivate. If the buds are left with too much moisture during processing and packaging, they will grow mold. Here is a link with directions on how to re-hydrate your buds: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/how-to-moisten-dry-marijuana Hope this helps!