The seasons are changing, and for the Northern Hemisphere, this means autumn colors and colder weather. The only thing better than staying warm in winter is staying warm and medicated! Straight out of our new cookbook, HERB!, is this delicious recipe for Mexican hot chocolate.
Are you interested in fully utilizing cannabis in the kitchen? HERB: Mastering the Art of Cooking with Cannabis is a high-end, crowdfunded cookbook for cannabis consumers that aims to restore cannabis to its rightful position as a dignified, accessible, and enjoyable ingredient. In it you’ll find the recipe below, as well as everything from cannabis cocktails to three-course tasting menus Secure your copy just in time for the holidays and pledge your support for cooking with cannabis responsibly!
Recipe for Medicated Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons canna-chocolate sauce (see below for recipe)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: whipped cream and cinnamon stick garnish
- In a small sauce pot, heat milk and sugar on medium-low until sugar completely dissolves.
- Continue heating milk to a low rolling simmer, and then remove from heat.
- Stir in canna-chocolate sauce and spices.
- Serve in a heat-proof mug and top with whip cream and a cinnamon stick.
Recipe for Canna-Chocolate Sauce
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cannabutter
- 1 teaspoon Madagascar vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Place sugar, flour, and cocoa powder in a bowl; whisk gently until combined and set aside.
- In a small sauce pot, heat milk on medium-low to medium heat just until a gentle rolling bubble begins.
- Turn heat off and whisk in cannabutter and vanilla extract; whisk gently until completely combined (approx. 1 – 2 mins).
- While mixture is still warm, whisk in dry ingredients a little at a time.
- Stir constantly for 6 minutes, and finish with a pinch of salt.
- Pour into glass jar with a tight fitting lid, and use immediately or store in your refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Note: Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.