Best Pot Brownies: Mario Batali’s Ridiculous Cannabis-Filled Recipe
When Mario Batali honored the Super Bowl-bound Denver Broncos in January with a recipe for Double-Chocolate Pot Brownies, commenters immediately cried foul over the fact that he skipped a supposedly compulsory step: decarboxylating the cannabis to activate its THC. We, however, decided to try the recipe in our search for the best cannabis-infused brownie
– and found that while the brownies might be less potent than they would have been otherwise, they actually do the trick in a pinch!
Mario Batali’s Double-Chocolate Pot Brownies
Yield: One 8” x 8” pan.
½ C butter, cut into 4 equal pieces
4 g high-quality cannabis
, cleaned and ground (optional)
½ C Dutch process unsweetened cocoa powder
½ C granulated sugar
8 oz milk chocolate chips
1 tsp real vanilla extract
2 extra-large eggs
¾ C unbleached all-purpose flour
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Grease an 8” x 8” baking pan.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter, the cannabis (if using), and cocoa powder, stirring continuously until the butter is just melted. Use a rubber spatula to transfer the cocoa mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Let the cocoa mixture cool for two minutes. Add the sugar, chocolate chips, and vanilla and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring so that each is well combined. Add the flour and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake on the center rack for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with tiny crumbs.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar, cut into nine squares, and serve. Or, store for up to two days in a tightly-sealed plastic container.
Source: Food 52
Is Mario Batali’s cannabis flower-filled brownie recipe capable of beating a recipe from the resident experts at Edibles Magazine
? Watch the video showdown
to find out!
Image Source: Sara Dilley
Note: The amount of cannabis oil specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabis oil and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here
to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.