Recipe: How to Make Cannabis-Infused Butter Tarts
Butter tarts are easily among the most iconic Canadian baked goods.
This recipe for elevated, adults-only butter tarts comes courtesy of Cody Lindsay of The Wellness Soldier and offers a little extra kick thanks to an infusion of home-made cannabutter. Just note that the dosage will depend on the potency of your ingredients as well as the individual serving size.
If serving at a party, always be sure to label cannabis-infused foods to prevent accidental or unintended consumption, and be sure to store away from underaged eaters.
Cannabis-Infused Butter Tarts
Start to finish: 90 minutes
Yield: 12 tarts
- 500 ml all-purpose flour
- 125 ml butter
- 125 ml cold water
- 60 ml cannabutter (softened)
- 60 ml brown sugar
- 125 ml corn syrup
- 125 ml raisins (optional)
- 10 ml vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2.5 ml salt
- In a food processor mix flour and butter until incorporated.
- Slowly add the water until the dough starts to form.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and knead.
- Wrap with plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, rolling from the center, roll the dough until it is about a 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut dough with a large circle cutter and add dough circle to a muffin tin.
- Set full muffin tin aside until butter tart mixture is ready.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, mix butter and brown sugar until well incorporated.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add mixture to the dough in the muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 for 15-17 minutes.
- When finished, transfer to wire rack and allow butter tarts to cool down.
Note: Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.
Check out The Wellness Soldier for more recipes and to learn about the science behind cooking with cannabis.