Recipe: Cannabis-Infused Simple Syrup
Simple syrup is just that, simple. Usually composed of one part white sugar and one part water, this liquid sweetener just needs heat and time to do its thing. Since sugar water is inherently neutral, adding and steeping herbs, like mint or rosemary, can impart subtle or strong natural flavors depending on the cooking and steeping time. That said, you can also make a classic simple syrup using one cup water, one cup sugar, and Rick Simpson Oil (RSO)
—simply follow the same directions below.
A dear friend and baker shared her favorite recipe for crafting simple syrups at her café in Seattle’s University District and naturally, I brought the cannabis—specifically, a CBD-forward RSO. For our purposes, we are replacing our standard granular white sugar for honey as well as steeping ginger in our mixture to add a fresh zing. Follow this easy step-by-step guide to concoct a flavorful infused simple syrup that can complement mocktails, coffee and tea, ice cream, and many other beverages and dishes as a natural sweeter and CBD supplement.
Honey Ginger CBD Simple Syrup
Start to finish: 1 hour
Yields: 16 one-ounce servings (two tablespoons = one ounce)
Approximate dosage: 62.5mg CBD per serving
- Medium pot or saucepan
- Measuring cup
- Spatula (for stirring and pouring honey mixture)
- Spoon (for peeling ginger)
- Vessel for syrup, such as a Mason jar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey (preferably local, for its health benefits)
- 1g (1000mg) CBD Rick Simpson Oil (RSO)
, or less for reduced potency
- 2-inch piece of ginger (or as small as 1 inch for a milder flavor)
- Peel ginger with spoon. Cut into medium-sized pieces.
- Combine honey and water in pot or saucepan.
- Add ginger and bring to a simmer. Stir periodically while simmering for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Add desired dosage of activated CBD full-plant extract oil (RSO) to your empty simple syrup vessel. Strain slightly cooled syrup into the vessel, then stir well to incorporate the RSO. Use caution and care! Hot simple syrup is much hotter, meaner, and stickier than hot water. Leave cap open or ajar until mostly cooled.
- Cap, shake well before using, and enjoy!
- Be sure to shake your syrup well before each use to ensure best (i.e., most consistent) results.
- You can store and enjoy your infused simple syrup for about three weeks.
- Considering adding 1–3 tablespoons this infused syrup to your coffee for a boost, or sipping it with lime juice and seltzer water for a refreshing twist.
Lifestyle 3 Infused Margaritas You Must Make This Summer
Lifestyle How 3 Pro Cannabis Chefs Think About Infused Cooking
Lifestyle Drink Recipes With Cannabis Cocktail Syrups