Recipe: How to Make a Christmas Quinoa and Hemp Seed Oil SaladJessica AragonaDecember 18, 2014
Tired of the same old heavy holiday side dishes? Not sure what to make at your next Christmas potluck dinner? Or maybe you just need something quick, easy and healthy to keep you energized as you finish up shopping for those last-minute gifts. Christmas quinoa salad is the perfect combination of delicious nutritious ingredients to keep you fueled up and ready to go all season long.
The base of this recipe is quinoa, a naturally gluten-free grain that is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and complete protein to help keep you fuller longer. Red kidney beans kick up the nutrition notch, providing even more protein and a healthy dose of fiber to keep your digestive system moving smoothly. Fresh cannabis leaves and flowers along with chopped celery, green bells peppers, dried cranberries, and sweet pimiento peppers give this dish a crisp texture and extra fresh taste. Topped off with zesty lemon vinaigrette, this dish is sure to please any time of year, not just Christmas time.
This Christmas quinoa salad is gluten-free and vegan approved. The recipe is non-psychoactive as cold pressed hemp seed oil does not typically contain THC. Additionally, raw cannabis leaves and flowers that have not been activated (decarboxlyated) will not have psychoactive effects, yet will still provide similar nutritional benefits as the activated version. For a psychoactive effect, you can substitute your favorite cannabis-infused liquid oil (not coconut oil) in place of organic cold-pressed hemp seed oil.
Recipe for a Healthy and Delicious Christmas Quinoa Salad
(For the most nutritious food, choose organic products when possible)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup red quinoa
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup fresh chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- Handful fresh celery leaves
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp sweet pimiento peppers with juice
- ½ cup cooked kidney beans, drained and rinsed (look for non-metallic containers)
- ½ cup fresh chopped cannabis leaves and flowers
Zesty Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup cold-pressed organic hemp seed oil
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add water and quinoa to a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover with a lid for 15-20 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Keep covered and let sit for 5 minutes
- Remove cover and fluff quinoa with a fork
- Let quinoa cool for at least 1 hour before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Add all remaining ingredients and the zesty lemon pepper vinaigrette dressing and stir until dressing is evenly distributed
- Cover and allow the salad to marinate for at least 1 hour before enjoying
Note: The amount of cannabis oil specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabis oil and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.