Everyone loves a good side dish. One of my personal favorites is coleslaw. But I don’t just reserve this tasty cabbage-based dish for summer picnics; rather, I treat coleslaw like a salad, mixing up a variety of fresh vegetables, dried seeds, and cannabis (of course) all year long.
From a nutritional perspective, the least “healthy” aspect of conventional coleslaw is usually the obscene amount of mayonnaise that it contains. Mayonnaise should be eaten sparingly due to its high saturated fat content and less-than-wholesome overall nutritional value.
To solve this problem, I substitute a yummy vegan mayonnaise, along with beneficial apple cider vinegar, a rainbow of vegetables, cannabis cooking oil and fresh cannabis leaves. This canna coleslaw is 100% vegan, gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free and nut-free. It is also packed full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants for an additional nutritional boost! As always, choose organic when possible.
Recipe for Canna-Slaw
- 6 cups shredded organic cabbage (I used ½ head purple cabbage and ½ head green cabbage)
- 1 cup shredded organic carrot
- 1 cup chopped organic celery
- ¼ cup fine chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped organic celery leaves
- ½ cup chopped fresh raw cannabis leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped organic garlic
- ¼ cup organic hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise (like Veganaise)
- ½ cup cannabis cooking oil
- 1 tbsp organic raw turbinado sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh ground cannabis buds (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the raw cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, celery leaves, fresh cannabis leafs and hemp seeds to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a blender or in a medium-sized bowl, combine the vinegar, vegan mayonnaise, lemon juice and cannabis oil.
- Blend or whisk by hand until all the liquids have been thoroughly combined.
- Pour this “dressing” over the vegetables in the large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Using two large spoons, mix all the ingredients until all the vegetables are evenly coated with “dressing.”
- Allow the coleslaw to marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Serve, sprinkled with fresh ground cannabis buds if desired.
Makes 9 (1 cup) servings (great for parties!)
Keep covered and refrigerated — Canna Coleslaw is good for up to 1 week
Note: The amount of cannabis oil specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabis oil and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.