Director Harmony Korine explains ‘The Beach Bum’ with Snoop, Matt McConaugheyLeafly PodcastsApril 2, 2019
Last week saw the release of “The Beach Bum,” starring Matthew McConaughey, Snoop Dogg, Isla Fisher, Zac Efron, and Jonah Hill. The film follows the wild shenanigans of Moon Dog, a crass and hedonistic stoner poet who, because of some unforeseen circumstances, is forced to either write and publish a book of his work, or go broke, or worse.
Yet there’s more to Moon Dog than meets the eye, and his love of cannabis is the key to understanding Korine’s deeper goal with the film.
The Hash podcast’s Max Savage Levenson caught up with Korine ahead of the film’s premiere to chat about his own relationship with cannabis, what Moon Dog has to teach America in 2019, the logistical challenges of filming with Snoop Dogg, and more. Listen below!
The Hash, Season 4, Episode 12: Harmony Korine
Subscribe to Leafly podcasts
Leafly has four podcasts for different skill levels:
- The Hash is NPR’s “All Things Considered” — on cannabis. It’s top-shelf journalism tracking ganja’s crossover into the mainstream; weekly on Tuesdays.
- Every Friday, The Roll-Up keeps you abreast of each week’s big cannabis news.
- What Are You Smoking? details cannabis product trends for true aficionados.
- And Canada’s legal rollout gets covered by The High Life.
Advertise on The Hash
Each ten-minute Hash episode is co-hosted and produced by Leafly California editor David Downs, and Max Savage Levenson (Pitchfork, NPR). The reported, scripted podcast’s guests this season include rapper/mogul Berner, RuPaul’s Drag Race star Laganja Estranja, New York State Sen. Diane Savino and more.
- Advertise on the world’s best cannabis podcast by contacting Leafly Brand Solutions and requesting “The Hash.”
- Pitch a guest for the show by contacting email@example.com.
- Smash that subscribe button on iTunes, Spotify, or Stitcher (for Android).
- And lurk the making of The Hash on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.