Terp sauce is a cannabis extract that contains a high concentration of terpenes, resulting in a runny, syrupy sauce-like concentrate. Terpenes are the fragrant oils that give cannabis flower its many different aromas, such as lemon, pine, or skunk; they are also thought to contribute to the various effect profiles of cannabis strains. Terp sauce is often combined with more solid chunks of cannabis isolate or extract or processed into a vape cartridge.
“You should try dabbing terp sauce sometime.”
“This terp sauce is so much more flavorful than the CO2 cartridges I’ve been vaping.”
What is terp sauce?
Terp sauce is a cannabis concentrate that contains high levels of terpenes, which are the aromatic oils that give cannabis strains their scent. Their more technical name is “high terpene full spectrum extracts,” or HTFSEs. Not only are terpenes responsible for the sweet, earthy, and sour aromas found in cannabis, they are also thought to influence the overall effect of each strain. In other words, terpenes might contribute to the many effects associated with cannabis such as feeling relaxed, uplifted, focused, or stress-free. Terp sauce is a type of cannabis extract that concentrates these terpenes in a liquid, runny “sauce” that is usually vaporized or dabbed.
Many different variations of terp sauce exist. Liquid terpene extracts may be combined with solid THCA or CBD isolate, or mixed with a potent distillate. It may fall somewhere in between, forming a soft, wax-like sugar. The common characteristic of terp sauces is that they are terpene-rich preparations, containing higher-than-average levels of terpenes. A terp sauce may, for example, contain 30% cannabinoids like THC and CBD, while the remaining 70% of the product is terpene extract.
How is terp sauce made?
Terp sauce can be made using a variety of processes that extract terpenes from the cannabis plant. Like cannabinoids (THC, CBD, etc.), terpenes can also be extracted from the plant. This can be done using solvents like butane, hydrocarbons, or CO2. Terpenes are then separated from cannabinoids, forming an aromatic liquid concentrate. This terpene-rich extract can then be integrated with cannabinoids in various forms.
Difference between terp sauce and live resin
Terp sauce and live resin extracts are easily confused as they both tend to be full-spectrum extracts and may contain high levels of cannabinoids and terpenes.
Live resin is a waxy cannabis extract that retains a high terpene profile because the source plant is frozen at subcritical temperatures before extraction, as opposed to first being dried and cured, a process which inevitably degrades the plant’s terpenes.
While live resin is typically high in terpenes, its chemical content is generally dominant in cannabinoids like THC. Terp sauce, on the other hand, is a terpene extract that may be combined with other cannabinoid-rich concentrates like isolate or distillate. Both products are cherished by terpene enthusiasts, and when choosing between the two, it ultimately comes down to which terpenes and cannabinoids you prefer and at what ratios/concentrations you prefer to enjoy them.