Beyond Cannabutter: Creamy Cauliflower Soup With Raw Cannabis Oil
This cauliflower soup is so silky-smooth and dreamy, you’ll swear it has cream in it. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and paleo-friendly though, which is nice when you’re trying to watch your diet after a month of holiday gorging.
The soup is topped off with a vibrant raw cannabis and basil oil to give it a peppery, herbaceous bite. With the raw cannabis, you’re going to get all the wonderful anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties of THCA without any intoxication. Then again, if you’d like some of that THC action, you can always substitute some of the avocado oil in this recipe with a medicated version.
Cauliflower Soup with Raw Canna-oil
Start to finish: 1 hour (active: 15 minutes)
Yields: 6 servings
Approximate dosage: 0mg THC (you will get the health benefits of THCA from the raw cannabis, but none of the intoxicating effects of decarboxylated THC).
• 1 cup raw cannabis leaves
• ½ cup raw basil leaves
• ½ cup avocado oil
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1 shallot, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced, white stems only
• 1 large head cauliflower, chopped
• 4 cups vegetable broth
• ¼ cup cashews, raw and soaked overnight
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 3 tablespoons chives, chopped (optional)
• Finishing salt, to garnish
- In a small pot, blanch the raw cannabis leaves and basil in boiling salted water for 10 seconds, then immediately shock in ice water and drain.
- Roughly chop the cannabis and basil, squeeze out excess water, place in a blender, and add avocado oil. Purée for about 3–4 minutes.
- Strain using cheesecloth or through a coffee filter. Pour into a container and refrigerate for use later on.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and add shallot, garlic, and leeks. Cook until soft. Add the cauliflower and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring the soup to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, bring the heat down to medium and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the cashews and sea salt. Pour the soup into the blender in batches and blast on high until smooth.
- Once all soup has been blended, serve in bowls with a drizzle of green cannabis oil, chives, and chunky finishing salt.