7 DIY Tips for How to Make a Homemade Pipe or Bong
Brett KonenDecember 2, 2016
If you’re a frequent cannabis consumer, odds are you’ve found yourself fiending for some flower but sans a smoking device. Cue the homemade pipes or bongs
The most famous of this breed include the apple pipe
and water bottle gravity bong
, but the scope of what’s possible is limited only by imagination – and luckily, cannabis consumers are creative folks. Some devices are artistic masterworks and can rival marijuana pipes on the market
, while others barely get the job done, but in the sage words of one Leafly follower on Facebook, “If it works, it ain’t stupid.”
Below, we’ve gathered a few tips and hacks from the Leafly community – let them guide you in your homemade smoking device endeavors.
- Sturdy produce and plastic containers are good bets. Hall-of-famers include apples, carrots, bell peppers, and water bottles. They work well because they hold their shape during the construction and consumption processes; carrots, for example, are sturdy enough to carve a bowl into to create a steamroller. And a bonus of an apple pipe is that you can eat the outside of the apple afterward to cure cottonmouth.
- Gather as many supplies as possible. Constructing a homemade smoking device can take a few tries (particularly if you’ve already indulged). Lacking inspiration? Get seasonal! Think pumpkin bongs in the fall, watermelon bongs in the summer – the sky’s the limit.
- Certain materials are always handy. A pen with the ink removed is great for making holes in fruit pieces and/or to use as a downstem. Aluminum foil is convenient for connecting disparate elements of your homemade device; just don’t use it as the bowl piece, since heat from your lighter can cause oxidation and the release of harmful chemicals. Toothpicks can create a makeshift screen on a fruit pipe.
- Steer clear of juicy or mushy produce. What bananas, oranges and the like offer in flavor, they lack in cleanliness, particularly if you’re passing the piece around a smoke circle. Keep in mind how things like bananas will react to the heat from your lighter, too (spoiler alert: they’re gonna get brown). That said, small fruits such as strawberries work well as bowl pieces or as personal one-hitters.
- If you’re going to cheat, use a pre-fabricated bowl. This piece is the handiest if you’re going to include a pre-made element in your smoking device. When inserting a bowl piece (pre-fabricated or not) into a plastic bottle, melt the bottle with your lighter before poking the hole – this can help create an airtight seal with the downstem.
- Things might get messy. If you’re in a real pinch, gum (with all the sugar chewed out of it) can be a godsend. Sticky peanut butter can also work as a temporary seal in pieces that aren’t airtight; same goes for soft, sticky candy, like Airheads or Starbursts. Steer clear of using unnatural adhesives like tape near the bowl piece; some varieties can release chemicals when heated.
- Don’t forget the air filter. Wrap a dryer sheet over the end of a toilet paper tube and secure with a rubber band, then exhale smoke through it to mask any odors and keep your sesh discreet.