hygge culture) and make yourself a warming mug of hot cannabuttered rum for a toasty retreat from the cold.
When mixing cannabis with alcohol, it’s more important than ever to start low and go slow—be sure you’re working with a batch of cannabutter whose potency you’re aware of and comfortable with, and if you’re using THC cannabutter, we recommend keeping each serving under 5mg. Alternatively, consider using high-CBD cannabutter for a calming night in.
Recipe inspired by Delish.
Cannabis-Infused Hot Buttered Rum
Start to finish: 2 hours 15 minutes (active: 15 minutes)
Yield: 16 servings
Approximate dosage: 5mg CBD or THC per serving
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 80mg worth of THC or CBD cannabutter*
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 8 cups apple cider
- 4 cups spiced rum
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, cannabutter, and brown sugar together until fluffy and thoroughly combined.
- Mix in ice cream, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon.
- Pour the mixture into a large container and store in the freezer until ready to serve (about two hours).
- In a saucepan, heat cider until boiling while stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and pour into a pitcher. Divide cider evenly into mugs.
- Place two tablespoons of the cannabuttered rum batter into each mug. Fill with a quarter of a cup of spiced rum and top with hot apple cider and a sprinkle of salt.
*Note: The amount of cannabis butter specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabutter and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis or alcohol.