‘There’s No Reason for It to Ever Have Been Made Illegal’: The Week in Cannabis QuotesRebecca KelleySeptember 29, 2017
“The neighborhoods in which we live are better for your commitment to the rule of law, dedication to the cause of justice and perseverance in the face of adversity. You will continue to do great things. I will continue to root for you, now from the sidelines.”
– Chuck Rosenberg, the acting head of the Drug Enforcement Admnistration who resigned earlier this week. According to the New York Times, Rosenberg had “become convinced that President Trump had little respect for the law.”
“There’s really only one reason to sit on a request: Because you suspect that perhaps the science will show that medical marijuana does have some therapeutic benefit and therefore disprove the need for the failed war on marijuana.”
– Colorado Democrat Jared Polis to Rolling Stone, which published an article this month titled “Why Medical Marijuana Research Is Gaining Support From the GOP”
“Most marijuana should come from approved stores. You’d be an idiot to buy marijuana on the street.”
– Clallam County Sheriff Bill Benedict responding to questions about seized cannabis potentially testing positive for fentanyl. In Washington state, the Makah Tribal Police Department alleged that officers found fentanyl-laced cannabis during a recent arrest.
“Persons phoning Cumbria Police because they are stuck on a mountain, after taking cannabis. Now having to deploy Mountain Rescue, Air support and Ambulance to rescue them. Words fail us …..”
– Cumbria Police reporting on the rescue of four climbers who got too high to safely navigate Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountain
“To alleviate my anxiety, I decided to consume a weed cookie, and it had the opposite effect, uh, where I ran downstairs and had the first panic attack of my life. And so I’m downstairs, I’m telling Alison ‘Get everyone out of here!’, and it was an 80’s themed party…so I’m downstairs literally throwing up and throwing a tantrum while Cocaine [a party guest dressed in all white to emulate the substance] is upstairs raiding our fridge. Alison and I, we still talk about how we survived my surprise party, we can survive anything.”
– Actor Dave Franco recounting to Jimmy Fallon about the time his wife Alison Brie threw him a surprise birthday party that got out of hand
“So, I think if you really analyze it, relative to other things that are legal, there’s no reason for it to ever have been made illegal in the system of laws. Alcohol is legal, and it can mess you up way more than smoking a few jays.”
– Neil deGrasse Tyson, when asked during a Facebook Live event September 27 if he agrees with Carl Sagan that cannabis should be legalized
“I don’t think there’s any question that marijuana should be legalized because to not legalize it, we’re paying the same price we paid for prohibition.”
– Hugh Hefner to Pop Tarts in November 2010, when he received the Award of Honor & First Amendment Award at the PEN Center USA’s 20th Annual Literary Awards Festival. Hefner passed away September 27, 2017, at the age of 91.