Recipe: How to Make Cannabis-Infused Blueberry, Lavender, and Chocolate Chip Muffins
While the “special brownie” will always be a classic for cannabis lovers, sometimes it’s nice to branch out with your pastries. This easy recipe for marijuana-infused blueberry muffins breaks away from the traditional, throwing some chocolate chunks and lavender into the mix.
Note: If you choose to make your own butter using the recipe below, each muffin will be equivalent to one light dose. Wait at least one full hour after eating your first muffin before trying another, as your body needs to metabolize the edible before the effects of the medication can kick in.
Canna-tastic Blueberry Lavender Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- 1 lightly greased muffin pan or muffin pan with paper liners
- 1 hand mixer
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Measuring cup
- Large spoon or spatula
- Crock pot (for making canna-butter)
- Cheese cloth or strainer
- Glass Tupperware
- 1 ½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter (to make canna-butter)
- 1 cup water
- ¼ ounce of ground cannabis flower or ½ ounce high-quality cannabis trim
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp dried lavender
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (subtract 2 Tbsp if using whole wheat)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ stick unsalted butter (to help manage flavor), softened
- 1 ½ sticks canna-butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
To Make Infused Butter:
- Turn Crock Pot onto low and add in 1 cup of water, 1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter, and ¼ ounce of ground cannabis flower.
- Cover Crock Pot and let simmer on low for 8 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After simmering for your desired amount of time, pour the hot mixture into a glass, refrigerator-safe container, using a cheese cloth or fine mesh strainer to strain out all plant product from the butter mixture. Squeeze or press plant material to get as much liquid off of the plant product as possible. Discard leftover plant material.
- Cover and refrigerate remaining liquid overnight or until the butter is fully hardened. Once hardened, the butter will separate from the water, allowing you to lift the now infused canna-butter from the water to use in your recipes. Discard remaining water after removing the hardened canna-butter.
- Let the canna-butter sit at room temperature to soften for use in the blueberry muffin recipe. Do not use a microwave to soften the butter.
Making the Blueberry, Lavender, and Chocolate Chunk Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together softened butter, canna-butter, and sugar using a hand mixer.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, until fully combined.
- Slowly begin to fold in flour mixture, alternating with milk, until fully combined.
- Add in vanilla and mix until combined.
- Using a spatula or large spoon, gently fold in frozen blueberries, chocolate chips, and lavender.
- Using a cookie or ice cream scoop, scoop out portions of the muffin mixture and fill each well of the muffin pan about 3/4ths full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove muffin pan from oven and let cool slightly before removing individual muffins. Let muffins cool completely on a wire rack.
Note: The amount of cannabis butter specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabutter and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.