While you may have ingested cannabis for recreation or medicine recently, you probably haven’t considered consuming it to make yourself more beautiful. But cult-favorite natural beauty retailer CAP Beauty is taking edibles in a new direction. Their latest product is The Daily Hit, a CBD oil laced with reishi mushrooms and adaptogens. It’s carefully formulated to taste good in your kale salads and green smoothies, and is intended to make you glow from inside out.
Co-founders Kerrilynn Pamer and Cindy DiPrima are well known in the industry for helping transform the natural beauty category from crunchy hippie products to luxury-oriented, Instagram-ready vanity table staples. With CAP (which stands for Clean and Pure), they’re applying their magic touch to cannabis—and as a testament to their success, the first batch of The Daily Hit sold out in two days. It costs $96 for 3.3 fluid ounces—and we’re sorry to say that it won’t get you high.
Pamer and DiPrima are well acquainted with the pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties of CBD, having sourced and sold CBD topicals from Denver-based cannabis brand Apothecanna in Pamer’s first store, Castor & Pollux, for years. Customers loved them. “[Cannabinoids] go deep,” DiPrima tells Leafly. “It felt more like something that you engage with and not something that you swallow as a supplement.”
Unlike other CBD oils on the market, The Daily Hit includes adaptogen herbs, which have been used in Eastern societies for centuries and have recently been en vogue as well as in Vogue (the September 2017 issue, to be exact). The term “adaptogen” was coined in 1947 by Russian pharmacologists Israel I. Brekhman and N.V. Nazarev, who observed that certain herbs could help the body fight the physical and mental side effects of stress.
For example, reishi mushroom, an ingredient in The Daily Hit and a popular adaptogen, is known for boosting immunity. Astralagus, another ingredient, is known for increasing blood circulation. And crushed-up sea pearl powder—yes, the same pearls used in your great-aunt’s favorite necklace—is a source of amino acids and, according to DiPrima, can help boost the glow of your skin from within. The CBD itself is sourced from an environmentally friendly grower in Europe. Users are encouraged to take half a teaspoon a day drizzled on their salads or blended into their post-workout protein shakes. “We absolutely wanted it to taste good,” DiPrima explains.
For the product’s launch, CAP Beauty partnered with Chef Mary Ellen Amato (known in New York for her award-winning sandwiches at Court Street Grocers) to create a healthy brownie edible, which was delivered to beauty magazine editors around the city for a mid-afternoon boost. They were tasty, so we’ve included the recipe below.
The next time you’ve got the munchies, prepare a batch of Amato’s CBD brownies using The Daily Hit or your favorite edible CBD oil. They’re delicious, healthy, and just might make you feel a little more beautiful.
Recipe: CBD Beauty Brownies
Start to finish: 45 minutes
Yields: 12 brownies
Approximate dosage: Depends on potency of CBD oil
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
4 tablespoons filtered water
⅓ cup coconut oil
⅓ cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup full-fat coconut yogurt
1 teaspoon edible CBD oil (such as The Daily Hit)
¾ cup coconut flour
¼ cup quinoa or brown rice flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
½ cup cacao nibs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a small baking tray with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, mix ground flax and water. Allow mixture to sit for 10 minutes for the flax to absorb the water. Reserve.
- In a small saucepan, gently warm the coconut oil with the coconut sugar and maple syrup. Stir frequently to avoid scorching. When the sugar starts to dissolve, switch off the heat and let stand for five minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, toss the coconut flour, quinoa flour, and pink salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Return to the sauce pan and add the vanilla extract, coconut yogurt, and CBD oil. Stir thoroughly to mix well. Add flax mixture and mix again.
- Using a spatula, gently fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Once batter is combined, pour into greased baking tray. Top with cacao nibs and bake for 15–20 minutes or until the top begins to harden slightly.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Enjoy!
*Note: The amount of cannabis oil specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your oil and the dosage you desire.