Craft a CBD Simple Syrup and Whip Up These Soothing Infused Cocktails
CBD curious? Then check out these CBD-based cocktails which are a great way to introduce people to the magic of this soothing cannabinoid.
These drinks are non-threatening, healthy, and incredibly versatile, making them the perfect choice for health-focused folks. While you can buy your own pre-made CBD products to mix into the cocktails (more on that later), making your own CBD-based solution is the way to go.
There are a few ways to approach infused cocktails: The most common way is the “Green Dragon” method where cannabis flower is infused into a high-proof liquor like ethanol or Everclear. While this technique is the most popular, it’s not the best way to proceed unless you’re looking to make a very potent cocktail base.
While you can opt to use cannamixers or store-bought CBD tinctures for a quick shortcut, the best way to create cannabis cocktails is to make your own infusions.
Infusions can take on many forms, some notable ones are outlined in Warren Bobrow’s book Cannabis Cocktails, Mocktails & Tonics: The Art of Spirited Drinks and Buzz-Worthy Libations. You can make your own tinctures at home (alcohol or oil based), make your own CBD bitters, or make your own CBD simple syrup.**
We’ve teamed up with Bill Stewart, owner of the Portland based bud and breakfast The Doctor’s House to get his recipe for a CBD infused simple syrup.
Bill Stewart’s CBD Simple Syrup
- 4 grams of your favorite de-carbed flower
- 2 cups of Agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons liquid Lecithin
- 2 cups water
- Add everything to a pot and bring to a low simmer.
- Simmer covered for 30 minutes, then strain out cannabis and let cool.
- Voila! You’ve now got yourself a potent CBD infused syrup to add in to any cocktail.
Here are a few cocktail recipes to get the party started:
CBD Mint Julep
Mint Julep is a great pick for testing CBD infusions since it allows you to work with the herbaceous flavors in the syrup rather than trying to mask them.
- 2 ounces of your favorite bourbon
- 5-10 mint leaves, with an extra sprig for garnish
- 1 ounce CBD simple syrup
- ½ cup crushed ice
- Splash of water
- Muddle up the mint at the bottom of the glass.
- Add in Bourbon and syrup, then ice to fill.
- Top off with a splash of water and mint garnish.
This delicious recipe is from Bill himself—and trust us when we say that the man pours a mean margarita.
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 tsp infused simple syrup
- Put all ingredients into a blender, then puree until smooth.
- Serve in salt rimmed glasses and enjoy.
CBD Pisco Sour
Deliciously tart, this riff on a Pisco Sour is a great way to offset the strong herbal notes of your simple syrup.
- 3 ounces brandy—preferably Pisco brandy
- 1 ½ ounces CBD infused simple syrup
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup ice
- Optional: 2-3 drops bitters
- Combine simple syrup and lime juice in a blender until syrup is evenly dissolved.
- Add in the rest of ingredients and puree until smooth.
- Pour into a sour glass, add optional bitters and serve.
CBD Corpse Reviver
This quintessential cocktail utilizes absinthe, a liquor with powerful notes of anise, which will work in perfect harmony with your sweet infusion.
- 1 ½ ounce gin
- ½ ounce Lillet Blonde
- ½ ounce Cointreau
- 1 ounce infused simple syrup
- 1 ½ ounces lemon juice
- 1 dash absinthe
- Crushed ice
- Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker.
- Shake with ice, then pour into serving glasses. Add a pinch of absinthe.
**Note: The amounts of CBD syrup specified in these recipes is a very loose suggestion; the actual amounts you use should be modified based on the strength of your CBD syrup and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.