Create the Ultimate Donut Bar With These Cannabis-Infused ProductsHannah MeadowsMay 2, 2018
Weddings and parties have caught the food bar craze these past few years thanks to charming Pinterest posts and everyone’s love for sweet treats. You’d be hard pressed to find a fancy event without a loaded “candy bar” or dessert bar variation taking up a table by the buffet. But with the dawn of cannabis legalization and an explosion in infused goodies, we couldn’t resist putting together our own foodie bar with an uplifting kick. And what better way to please your invited guests than with the classic donut?
Once called oily cakes, donuts are a national pastime, first popping up in Manhattan before taking the rest of the country by storm. Whip up a batch of donut holes with our delicious recipe below (inspired by this one), and dress them up with rich chocolate, crumbled brownies, and infused spice.
Gather Your Toppings
First things first: what’s a good donut without a delicious topping? We scoured our favorite sweet treat brands to bring you some tempting ideas:
Raspberry Dark Chocolate by Grön
If you’re anything like me, then you’re a die-hard dark chocolate fan. Teeming with 72% fair-trade sourced cacao along with tart raspberries, Grön’s 50mg CBD to 25mg THC Dark Chocolate Raspberry Bar is the perfect ingredient to drizzle atop fresh, hot donuts. Check out their Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Bar for a less fruity yet still delectable pick.
Available in: Oregon
Cinnamon and Honey Spice by Cured Nutrition
Made for donut fans who love a classic, this Cinnamon and Honey Spice from Cured Nutrition is an excellent take on traditional powdered sugar. With 15mg CBD per serving, your donuts will turn out both delicious and calming. When wrapped up in this sweet concoction, our Leafly photo editor exclaimed, “Hey, this is a good donut!”
Want even more dessert-like goodness? Check out their CBD-loaded Peanut Butter Chocolate Spice.
Available in: Nationwide
Chocolate Chip Cookies by Goodship
You can’t go wrong with crumbled chocolate chip cookies. Even better? Infused crumbled Chocolate Chip Cookies by Goodship. Made with organic sugar and 10mg THC per serving, this mouthwatering edible will take you back to simpler times. Prepare a large glass of milk and a batch of donuts and you’re set for a delicious afternoon treat—or anytime, really.
Available in: Washington
Editor’s note: Leafly and Goodship are both owned by Privateer Holdings
Hazelnut Caramel Brownies by Kaneh Co.
Incredibly rich, Kaneh Co.’s infused Hazelnut Caramel Brownies are a decadent option for your humble donut bar. With 10mg THC per serving and loaded with ingredients like hazelnut butter and cocoa nibs, Kaneh Co. hit it out of the park when dreaming up this luscious version of the usual pot brownie.
Available in: California
Make Your Donut Holes
Now that your toppings are in order, it’s time to create!
Recipe: Fried Donut Holes
Start to finish: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 donut holes
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flower + more for covering donuts
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Dash of cardamom (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 quart oil for frying
- Combine the milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Then, beat in the egg and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt, and stir into the mixture, going back and forth with the vinegar and milk concoction.
- Pour dough out on a well-floured surface. Begin rolling pieces of the dough to create 12-15 separate donut holes. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat oil on medium-high heat to 375˚F. Drop donut holes into oil and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
Prepare the Infused Ingredients
Note: Save this step until your donuts are finished cooking so the chocolate doesn’t harden.
- Break your Dark Chocolate Raspberry Bars into separate chucks.
- Place in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 20 seconds.
- Remove and stir chocolate.
- In 10 second increments, continue microwaving and stirring the chocolate until smooth.
- Drizzle atop donut holes.
Pour the Cinnamon and Honey Spice on a small plate then roll in the donut holes.
Goodship & Kaneh Co.
Chop cookies and brownies to desired size. Sprinkle atop donut holes.
*Note: The amount of cannabis product suggested in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your products and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.