Halloween is upon us! To celebrate this spooky day, here’s a handy step-by-step guide to pulling off the perfect Halloween complete with strain suggestions to pair with all of the fun activities you have planned this weekend. Enjoy!
Step 1: Create Your Costume
If you’re extra prepared, you’ve already got your costume ready with the finest props at your disposal. Some of you last-minute types, however, may still be scrambling for ideas. Fret not, we’ve got you covered! Leafly cobbled together a few fun last-minute strain costume ideas — we especially recommend Granddaddy Purple for a quick, easy, funny-punny costume.
Once you’ve got your costume idea, get down to business with a motivating strain to help you focus and get your creative juices flowing. You’ll bust out that costume in no time!
Our favorite creative-costume strain: Cinex
This energetic sativa provides a clear-headed focus with an inspiring boost of creativity.
Step 2: Pre-Game Like a Champ
Going out in public while wearing a costume can cause some serious social anxiety in some folks. Quell any lingering weirdness with a soothing sociable strain that will have you laughing and chatting up strangers like you’re old buddies.
Next, get yourself pumped up with some rocking jams – this Ultimate Pre-Game Playlist includes the top 100 jams to get your pre-funk on – from Snoop to the Spice Girls, you’ll be jumping and grooving before it’s time to hit the parties.
Our favorite pre-gaming strain: Rainbow
Step 3: Check Out a Haunted House
Amp yourself up for a truly frightening scare and get ready to run from a madman wielding a chainsaw while you’re pumped up with some super active strains.
Looking for the scariest haunted houses in your area? We’ve got you covered:
- Denver: 13th Floor Haunted House was shown on the Travel Channel as one of America’s Scariest Halloween Attractions, and was also voted Scariest Haunted House in Colorado by MTV. Stop by and see why it’s been rated the most horrifying!
- Seattle: The spookiest haunted spot in Seattle is not a house, but a hotel! Hotel Sorrento is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of Alice B. Toklas, the long-dead author of a cookbook that contains a recipe for “Hashish Fudge,” which was, yup, a recipe for pot brownies. A cannabis-friendly Casper? Yes, please!
- Portland: The House of Shadows in Gresham is a full-contact terror experience that will have you screaming for your life. Watch out for chainsaws!
- Los Angeles: CreepLA is an interactive spooktastic attraction with mazes, themes, and technological terrors. Prepare to get creeped!
- Phoenix: The Fear Farm Haunted House features a corn maze, chainsaw mayhem, and two of the creepiest clowns you’ve ever seen. Don’t get lost or the clowns might get you!
Our favorite strain for a haunted house: Ghost Train Haze
Aptly named, this creeptastic sativa will have your adrenaline prepped and pumping so you’re ready to run screaming from chainsaw-wielding clowns.
Step 4: Party Party Party!
The big event! With Halloween falling on a weekend this year, the time is ripe for parties and there will surely be no shortage of fun activities. Make sure you’re ready to enjoy your time to the maximum by lifting your spirits with the most euphoric strains.
Better yet, prep your party with some fun and easy Halloween party recipes for a tasty treat! Make a batch of Brew-Ha-Ha Punch – add your favorite spirits for an alcoholic treat, or infuse your punch with a few tablespoons of cannabis tincture. Make sure to put a sign out if you go the infusion route so that your guests are properly informed and everyone can experience a happy (and informed) Halloween!
Our favorite party strain: Jesus
You don’t have to dress up like the Son himself to appreciate this uplifting strain. This sativa-dominant hybrid will have you bursting with peals of laughter and dance-dance-dancing on waves of euphoria.
Step 5: Cue up a Scary Movie Marathon (a.k.a. The Anti-Halloween)
Ready to sit back and indulge in some scary chills? We’ve compiled some of our favorite horror classics with their delicious canna-counterparts. Check out this list of horror movies and their strain pairings to help plan your night!
Perhaps all the Halloween hubbub is just a bit too much? Would you rather stay in, relax, and let your head hit the sheets early? Don’t worry, there’s a strain for that, too.
Our favorite strain for a night in: Ghost OG
And not just for its appropriately scary strain name! This balanced hybrid has a nice focus so you can pay attention to the plot of a movie, combined with a soothing body buzz so you’ll be ready for bed by the time the credits roll.
Whatever your plans are for this fun and spooky holiday, there’s a strain for that! Happy Halloween from all of us at Leafly – keep it fun, stay safe, and remember, #JustSayKnow.