The Leafly guide to cannabis in Alberta
Cannabis is legal for adult use across Canada, but the details vary between provinces, municipalities, and cities. Here’s what you need to know about buying, possessing, and consuming cannabis in Alberta.
Jump to a section
- Cannabis rules and regulations in Alberta
- Where to buy cannabis in Alberta
- What can you grow in Alberta?
- Cannabis news and culture in Alberta
Know Alberta’s rules and regulations
Possessing and consuming cannabis in Alberta
- You must be 18 years or older to possess or purchase cannabis in Alberta, or to be admitted into an licensed store
- You can carry a maximum of 30 grams of dried cannabis (or equivalent) in public at any time.
- Smoking or vaping cannabis is not permitted in public spaces.
Where can you buy cannabis in Alberta?
Cannabis is available for sale across the province from private retailers and online through the government-run retailers Alberta Cannabis. To find a retail cannabis stores near you, use Leafly’s Store Finder. It’ll map nearby stores and connect you to each store’s updated menu.
See inside Alberta’s cannabis stores
What can you grow?
You can grow your own cannabis strains at home for personal use in Alberta.
- Limit of four plants per household from seeds bought from licensed cannabis retailers
- Plants must be hidden from public view
- Landlords may limit or ban growing